Ben Baby is a newspaper reporter in Texas. He’s not only got a great name, but he’s very cool for taking the time to answer my questions about it. You rock, Baby!
1) Is there a story (that you’ve been told) about where your name comes from?
My parents are Indian, and according to the naming nomenclature in the state of Kerala, Christians usually follow the biblical naming system. So the last name of the family would be the first name of the father. So when my father came to the United States, his last name was Baby, the first name of his father. Rather than confuse everybody and continue the system in the US, he decided against it. So Baby has stuck for the following generations.
2) What does your name mean to you? Do YOU think you have a great name?
2. Honestly, I probably have one of the coolest names ever, and I’m pretty thankful for it. All my friends usually just call me Ben Baby, and they love to say it whenever they can. I’ve had to pull out my driver’s license on multiple occasions to prove my last name is actually Baby.
3) Is it good or bad – or perhaps a bit of both – to have a distinctive name?
I love having a distinctive name. Whenever I meet people who are terrible with remembering names, they always tell me they’ll never forget my name. And honestly, that’s something everybody strives for — nobody wants to be forgotten. And that’s coming from a guy who can’t remember anybody else’s name.
4) Do you care what others think of your name? What reactions from others have you encountered over the years?
At this point, I don’t care what others think about my name. I don’t think people think too negatively of it, so that’s probably why I don’t care as much. When I was in elementary school, a few kids used to tease me about it. I haven’t been heckled about it in a long, long time.
5) Do you have a favourite name you’ve come across over the years?
I don’t think I have a favorite name, but just going by “Ben Baby” is pretty awesome. I’ve been truly blessed.
6) Have to ask: have you, in fact, ever been put in a corner? 🙂
Considering I’ve yet to see the three new Batman movies or Titanic, I’m not a huge movies guy. But I still know the line from Dirty Dancing and I’ll use it from time to time. People usually laugh. I probably need to watch that movie so I realize why that line is so famous.